After notifo seemingly stopped pushing notifications to my devices, I began to look for an alternative that more transparently used Google’s C2DM service for notifications. It didn’t take me long to find NMA, short for NotifyMyAndroid. This is a very simple http(s) API to push notifications to one/many devices. I’ve broken this down into a few easy steps.
- Sign up for an account on www.notifymyandroid.com. Log in, click on ‘My Account‘, then ‘Generate New Key’
- Install the NMA Android app (around $3 USD) onto your android device. Launch the app and login
- Install pynma.py and nma.py to $HOME/.weechat/python.
- (Optional) Symlink nma.py to $HOME/.weechat/python/autoload
- In weechat:
/python load python/nma.py /set plugins.var.python.nma.apikey "$myapikey"
- (Optional) To inly send notifications when detached from the screen: install and load the screen_away.py, then
/python load python/screen_away.py /set plugins.var.python.nma.only_away on
Now you too can be harassed by inane IRC highlights no matter where in the world you are! Thankfully, the NMA Android app has a ‘quiet hours’ in case you’d rather not be woken up in the middle of the night.